Modern technology such as robotics has changed the way people do business. When they were first introduced, robots were used in manufacturing firms such as car companies to speed up the manufacture of products to meet growing demands from prospective customers. Now, the use of robots is no longer limited to making more products. They are now used in other areas of business such as retail stores. Hence, the growing popularity of unmanned retail stores in countries like Japan.
Convenience Offered by Unmanned Stores
This new type of store which was first introduced in Japan in the summer of 2020 offers a lot of convenience to both customers and business owners in many ways according to lead innovation management. Here are some of them.
- No need to bring cash. Unlike in regular retail stores, customers have the option of paying in cash or via credit card. Because unmanned stores use a cashless system of operation, there is no need for your customer to pay in cash. All that he or she has to do is to have her debit card read by the machine and presto! Business is done. As a business owner, you don’t have to worry about thieves breaking into your store and stealing your hard-earned cash.
- No need for a cashier. This is another feature that makes unmanned stores a unique way of doing business. When it’s time for the customer to pay for his or her groceries, all that he or she has to do is have the item/s scanned by the machine. Afterward, the customer has his or her debit card or IC card ( as they call it in Japan)scanned by the machine. Business is done.
- No need for many shopkeepers. When running an unmanned retail store, you only need one person to maintain the store. All that he or she has to do is make sure that the shelves are fully stocked and ensure that customers follow the right procedures when entering and leaving the store. Security is no problem because customers are being watched by hundreds of cameras as they shop around and make their payments afterward.
Reasons for Popularity of Unmanned Stores
There are many reasons that brought about the establishment of unmanned stores. Here are a few of them according to insider trends.
- Keep up with fast-paced modern living. In countries like Japan, unmanned stores are located in busy places like train stations. Having such stores allow people like train commuters to buy things like food when a sudden need arises. This prevents them from having to look for a supermarket in order to buy things like food to meet such a need.
- Facilitate inventory of goods. Because the purchase of goods is monitored by a machine, there is no need for you to go down to the store and count how many products of each kind are still available. All that you have to do is look at your file on the computer and you will be able to decide which of the products you need to stock up on.
- Need to save on store operation costs. Nowadays, many businessmen like you are thinking of how to save more when it comes to store-operation costs. Because unmanned stores are managed only by one person, there is no need for you to hire people like cashiers, stockers, and salespersons to run the store. Because you need only one person to man the store, you save a lot on salaries.
What to Consider Before Opening an Unmanned Store
But before you decide to open an unmanned store, there are a few things you need to consider according to tagged value. Here are some of them.
- The location of your store. When opening your unmanned store, be sure that it’s located where there are a lot of potential customers such as train stations or schools. Remember that the purpose of unmanned stores is to serve the immediate needs of people who may find themselves too far from supermarkets.
- Investment in the technology. Unmanned stores are operated by robotic technology such as the one also used in agricultural drones. This means that you may need to invest a lot of money into such kind of a business. But not to worry. You can get back your investments real fast and there are lending institutions who would lend you the money at reasonable terms.
Unmanned stores are a great way to start one’s first business. With the help of modern technology, you can manage such a store without the need for a lot of manpower.